Monday, August 03, 2009

Sparkling Lavender Lemonade

It's going to be a hot one today! With temperature's over 100 degrees yesterday, it appears that today will be no different. Outside chores are best done in the semi-coolness of the early morning on days like this! A quick wander through the yard to turn on the garden water reminded me that my lavender is ready to harvest. It takes awhile to cut the large plants, so I set a goal this morning to harvest two near the back porch. It was such a fragrant task, and Tia decided to join me while I worked. A full bin and a box of fresh cut lavender are now sitting in the house, waiting for me to decide what to do with them. I wonder what lavender syrup would be like? How delicious it would be, added to some sweet lemonade during the months when no lavender bud is available in the garden and ready to cut. I'm sure there's enough for the family to enjoy it during these hot summer days as well.

Sparkling Lavender Lemonade

Cut fresh lavender and remove most of stem. Place about 1/2 cup of lavender flowers in a glass container and pour 2 cups of boiling water over top. Allow to steep for 10 minutes. Strain using a mesh strainer or coffee filters. Combine this lavender infusion with 2 quarts of fresh lemonade. Sweeten with the sweet herb, stevia, for added flavor. Chill and serve over ice. Add a long stem of fresh lavender to the glass (like a straw) for a pretty effect. For sparkling lavender lemonade, add a splash of lemon or lime carbonated beverage or plain soda water.

For times when fresh lavender isn't available, cut some fresh lavender flowers and place in an ice cube tray. Cover with fresh water and freeze until ready to use.

1 comment:

Bean said...

I love that picture of your baby! And it looks like a recipe I need to try. :)

Sharing My Favorite Recipes with You!

Health-Supportive Cooking
SHARING ~ VEGAN ~ GLUTEN FREE ~

Welcome to my kitchen where recipes, cooking tips, and menu ideas are shared! Sit down at my table, sip a cup of tea, and smell the delicious aroma from my cozy kitchen! Join in friendly chat by using the comments feature on my blog to post your questions, comments, & favorite recipes. Let's discover together.

Occasionally a recipe may be shared that is not BOTH vegan and gluten free. All gluten free recipes are designated with a tag below the recipe post.

Yum! Let's get cooking!

*If you are looking for a specific type of recipe, scroll to the left of the page where titles are listed by recipe category. *

*Recipes and photos copyright@LaTeaDah 2005 - 2012