Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Sugared Flowers


Beautiful magazines that promote lovely living frequently feature sugared flowers and the instructions for making them. Each spring when my violets are blooming, I think about how nice it would be to have sugared flowers. The instructions always say to take some egg white, mix with a little water, paint on petals, dip in ultra-fine sugar, and allow to dry. They also give the classic warning about the potential for salmonella, as the egg whites are only dried and not cooked. Food safety is important to me and I don't want to make anything that might cause anyone to get sick. Even though the petals are used mostly for decor, the risk is still too great. So, I've just dreamed about sugared flowers and tried to think of an alternative way to achieve the same results.

Both egg whites and egg yolks carry risk for this illness. Here's information from the Centers for Disease Control regarding salmonella and egg whites: www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/salment_g.htm

No comments:

Sharing My Favorite Recipes with You!

Health-Supportive Cooking
SHARING ~ VEGAN ~ GLUTEN FREE ~

Welcome to my kitchen where recipes, cooking tips, and menu ideas are shared! Sit down at my table, sip a cup of tea, and smell the delicious aroma from my cozy kitchen! Join in friendly chat by using the comments feature on my blog to post your questions, comments, & favorite recipes. Let's discover together.

Occasionally a recipe may be shared that is not BOTH vegan and gluten free. All gluten free recipes are designated with a tag below the recipe post.

Yum! Let's get cooking!

*If you are looking for a specific type of recipe, scroll to the left of the page where titles are listed by recipe category. *

*Recipes and photos copyright@LaTeaDah 2005 - 2012