Sunday, August 02, 2009

Floral Honey

I have enjoyed spending time learning about botanicals for culinary use. Since the lavender and roses in my yard are grown without pesticides, they are safe to use for food purposes. This afternoon I decided to try to make flavored honey. Rose Blossom Honey and Lavender Honey now sit on my countertop, waiting for toast and tea!

Floral Honey

42 ounces honey
1 cup fresh lavender bud or rose petals

Heat honey in a kettle over a double-boiler. After the honey becomes thin, add flowers and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove from heat. Using a small strainer, pour honey into small jars. Lid and label. Store in the fridge until ready to use.

Makes four small jars of honey.

Both were delicious and the flavor of the lavender and roses was perfect! If you'd like a rosy color, add food coloring --- two or three drops will do.

No comments:

Sharing My Favorite Recipes with You!

Health-Supportive Cooking
SHARING ~ VEGAN ~ GLUTEN FREE ~

Welcome to my kitchen where recipes, cooking tips, and menu ideas are shared! Sit down at my table, sip a cup of tea, and smell the delicious aroma from my cozy kitchen! Join in friendly chat by using the comments feature on my blog to post your questions, comments, & favorite recipes. Let's discover together.

Occasionally a recipe may be shared that is not BOTH vegan and gluten free. All gluten free recipes are designated with a tag below the recipe post.

Yum! Let's get cooking!

*If you are looking for a specific type of recipe, scroll to the left of the page where titles are listed by recipe category. *

*Recipes and photos copyright@LaTeaDah 2005 - 2012