Thursday, July 16, 2009

Fresh Basil Pesto


Fresh Basil Pesto

The garden basil is growing well. Although I only have six plants this year, I have been able to harvest enough to make some pesto and put it in the freezer for winter use. I hope my pesto plants continue to grow abundantly so I can make more. Last year this recipe was such a success that we ran out well before winter was over.

* 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 1 cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
* 5 cloves garlic
* 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
* 3/4 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until nuts are ground. Don't overprocess, as some texture is desired. Add more salt to taste if necessary.

Divide into 1/4 or 1/3 cup portions and place in small jelly jars or zip-lock bags. Freeze until ready to use. When ready for a meal, allow to thaw partially and add to cooked pasta.

For variety, add about 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes.

3 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

This recipe freezes well for winter use!

Debra said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have some basil growing!

La Tea Dah said...

Debra, give your basil lots of sunshine! I have six plants in my garden --- and bought three more for pots. I've been enjoying making pesto and freezing it this year. We'll eat it all winter and will run out several months before we want to! LOL!

Sharing My Favorite Recipes with You!

Health-Supportive Cooking
SHARING ~ VEGAN ~ GLUTEN FREE ~

Welcome to my kitchen where recipes, cooking tips, and menu ideas are shared! Sit down at my table, sip a cup of tea, and smell the delicious aroma from my cozy kitchen! Join in friendly chat by using the comments feature on my blog to post your questions, comments, & favorite recipes. Let's discover together.

Occasionally a recipe may be shared that is not BOTH vegan and gluten free. All gluten free recipes are designated with a tag below the recipe post.

Yum! Let's get cooking!

*If you are looking for a specific type of recipe, scroll to the left of the page where titles are listed by recipe category. *

*Recipes and photos copyright@LaTeaDah 2005 - 2012